Indyfans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indyfans

The Official Message Board

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My first real piece of gear!!

Go down 
+2
Indy89
Shtick
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Shtick
Top Man
Top Man
Shtick

My first real piece of gear!! Empty
PostSubject: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 4:39 am

Well, I've done it. After years of gathering "Close Enoughs", I have taken the plunge and gotten the first real piece of Indy Gear. Here it is...

My first real piece of gear!! MorganWhip

This beauty is a 9' kangaroo hide David Morgan bullwhip. Quite a step up from my previous whip...

My first real piece of gear!! 110-1082_IMG

The Morgan cracks like a cannon. It's very well broken in, with a new white hide fall and poly cracker. I purchased this whip from Adam Winrich, maker of the Indy On A Budget bullwhip, and world's record holder for most whip cracks in a minute (272!!), among others. A classy guy. Please, support him.

I am very happy with this whip. I feel it is the most recognizable part of the costume, and I've been wanting a quality whip for some time. When a Morgan came available for about the same price as a new replica, I had to have it. I had it shipped to my work, and when it arrived, I demonstrated it for my boss. He acctually jumped out of his seat!!

I will post more pictures as I take them. You may all be jealous now. whip

Last edited by on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Indy89
Camel Jockey
Camel Jockey
Indy89

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 6:19 am

Looks great! clap
Back to top Go down
Indiana Wraith ~
Camel Jockey
Camel Jockey
Indiana Wraith ~

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 4:20 am

Here's My Bullwhip, I Just Got it Last Year.
It;s a Braided Leather Bullwhip and it's 12 Feet Long ~
Here's Where I Found it, This Place is Great.
http://www.schaafleatherwork.com/pages/other/bullwhip.html

My first real piece of gear!! Bullwhip
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/paranormal_adventurer
Shtick
Top Man
Top Man
Shtick

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:04 pm

Nice, Wraith! How's it crack? I've always wondered about wide flat falls such as that.

Taking the Morgan out for a test crack...

My first real piece of gear!! P1010169-1
Back to top Go down
Indiana Wraith ~
Camel Jockey
Camel Jockey
Indiana Wraith ~

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 8:16 pm

The Crack is Nice and Loud, I Scare the Kids With it all the Time ~ LOL whip

Quote :
Nice, Wraith! How's it crack? I've always wondered about wide flat falls such as that.

Taking the Morgan out for a test crack...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/paranormal_adventurer
Ren Fisk
Camel Jockey
Camel Jockey
Ren Fisk

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 7:44 pm

Quote :
Well, I've done it. After years of gathering "Close Enoughs", I have taken the plunge and gotten the first real piece of Indy Gear. Here it is...
Would you also show us some of your close-enough? That would be cool.
Back to top Go down
http://thefedorachronicles.com
Shtick
Top Man
Top Man
Shtick

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 9:35 pm

Sure! I'd be happy to. I'll start with the holster, and add more photos later.

My first real piece of gear!! 110-1072_IMG

Handmade from a $2 vinyl thrift store handbag. I used a template I found online. I crafted this to go around a .357 squirt gun I had painted. A buddy of mine with an industrial sewing machine stitched it up for me. The hardware is a spike from a leather bracelet, sanded down. I think it does the trick. For now.
Back to top Go down
PonyR
Camel Jockey
Camel Jockey

PostSubject: Wide falls   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 3:35 am

Hey, Shtick,

The wide fall on a whip like the one above can still give a nice, loud pop. However, the fall tends to "plane" in the air, and is not so good for accurate target work due to the twisting effect of planing. These wide falls were popular on Texan swivel-handled bullwhips, and in some cases were actually the main point at which the hide was cut from, so the whip was actually braided backwards, from the point to the butt, the fall being an integral part of the point rather than a separate leather strand. This whip appears, however, to be conventionally braided. Also, some drovers were made to use wide falls if they had a habit of hitting the livestock with the whip. The wider falls cause less injury to the animal due to spreading-out the impact over a wider area, and were required by some livestock owners before a drover was allowed to work the animals.

I really enjoyed playing with your Morgan whip that day at Legoland, by the way!
Back to top Go down
http://www.gravityarchmedia.blogspot.com
Shtick
Top Man
Top Man
Shtick

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 3:43 am

Actually, you are more correct than you think. When I first acquired this whip from my ex brother-in-law, the fall was indeed on backwards. I changed it to the way you see it, because I thought it was wrong. While learning, I got fairly good at tageting leaves with it though. 8 times out of 10, I would hit the one I was aiming for.

But I prefer the Morgan overall. Wink
Back to top Go down
PonyR
Camel Jockey
Camel Jockey

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 4:21 am

At one point I and my friends tried different materials for poppers. Regular shoelaces (from sneakers) create a very thunderous pop, but need more "push" to get them to work. We even made a popper out of one of those luminous glowing necklaces that are popular at concerts. That looked pretty cool at night, but one really good pop and it'll explode all over you! These days I use two types of nylon poppers: a relaxed, floppy one for wrap-arounds, and a stiffer one (made from bailing nylon) for cutting tricks.
Back to top Go down
Shtick
Top Man
Top Man
Shtick

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 2:27 pm

You can tell that my two whips have vastly different poppers on them. The stiff popper was purchased from a feed store, and is very rigid. I'd be afraid to get hit with that one (which I have been; back of my calf, tip of the ear, forearm...) I have one of the pink synthetic poppers for the Morgan, but I haven't tried it yet.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fusion
Top Man
Top Man
Mr. Fusion

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:27 am

I usually just make my own crackers out of some white or neon green polyproplene that I have in the garage. Once in a while though, I'll buy those nice black nylon ones, and they're a treat. Now to start making my own falls... think Wink
Back to top Go down
Shtick
Top Man
Top Man
Shtick

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 pm

Uh, oh. Pretty soon, you are going to start braiding!!
Back to top Go down
PonyR
Camel Jockey
Camel Jockey

PostSubject: Falls   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 3:36 pm

Mr. Fusion,

Most falls (like on my Joe Strain whips) are made from baseball leather. The stuff they eventually skin a baseball with. Remember, if you do try to make your own, they need a bit of taper, and they should be gently (firmly, actually) rounded. Whitehide is what they are sometimes called. A good length is around 30".
Also, if you do want to try braiding, and want something that's similar to kangaroo but without the hefty price, try calfskin.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fusion
Top Man
Top Man
Mr. Fusion

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 11:38 pm

PonyR wrote:
Whitehide is what they are sometimes called.

Right - until you buy redhide, or latigo. Wink I've been using whitehide for years, and recently bought a redhide fall from David Morgan to try something different. So far I've been impressed, despite the many accounts of them snapping easily. I know the whitehide tends to stretch more, but I think with good maintenance, a redhide fall can be durable too.
Back to top Go down
PonyR
Camel Jockey
Camel Jockey

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 4:49 pm

Mr. Fusion, I'll be interested in your results. I used to use latigo falls, and I had a LOT of breakage problems, but I'm not sure I can blame that entirely on the falls themselves. There may have been other factors at work, such as using dressings that may have weakened the fibers due to having Neet's Foot Oil in them (like, unfortunately, R.M. Williams) or maybe the latigo I was using was poor to begin with. I will say I've had virtually no breakage with whitehide, but since I've been using better whips (like Joe Strain's, which come with whitehide), I've also been practicing better techniques, so there are a lot of mitigating factors.

That, and I just like to work the word "mitigating" into a sentence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first real piece of gear!!   My first real piece of gear!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first real piece of gear!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Indyfans :: The Further Adventures... :: Indy Props and Gear-
Jump to: